River Teeth‘s editors and editorial board conduct a yearly national contest to identify the best book-length manuscript of literary nonfiction. All manuscripts are screened by the co-editors of River Teeth. The contest winner will receive $1,000 and publication by The University of New Mexico Press. All U.S. entrants receive a one-year subscription to River Teeth with their submission fees.
Submissions open August 1st, 2020.
Deadline for Submissions: October 31
Final Judge: Megan Stielstra
- Manuscripts must be between 150-400 pages long.
- Manuscripts must be double-spaced.
- On Anonymity: The editors make every effort to screen manuscripts without bias of identifying author details; however, because the contest is nonfiction, it is not always possible to eliminate identifying characteristics about the author from the manuscript. Therefore, please avoid including your name in the header or footer of the manuscript, but otherwise do not fret too much over anonymity.
- By submitting to the River Teeth Literary Nonfiction Contest, you understand that if your manuscript is chosen as the winner of the contest, it will be published with The University of New Mexico Press.
- Self-published works will be considered but please submit these in manuscript format only.
- The contest is open to entries outside of the U.S., but because of rising mailing rates, we are sorry to announce that we can no longer offer a free subscription to non-U.S. submissions.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Entries must be submitted online through Submittable.
- Online submission fee is $27.
Meet Our Final Judge